This is for information only. Always consult your doctor.
Prednisone is a corticosteroid. It prevents the release of substances in the body that cause inflammation. It also suppresses the immune system.
Prednisone is used as an anti-inflammatory or an immunosuppressant medication. As well as used sometimes in the treatment of FCAS2, prednisone is also used to treat many different conditions such as allergic disorders, skin conditions, ulcerative colitis, arthritis, lupus, psoriasis, or breathing disorders.
Steroid medication can weaken your immune system, making it easier for you to get an infection. Avoid being near people who are sick or have infections. Do not receive a “live” vaccine while using prednisone.
Prednisone can cause low birth weight or birth defects if you take the medicine during your first trimester. Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant while using this medication. Use effective birth control. Prednisone can pass into breast milk and may harm a nursing baby. Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding a baby.
Prednisone side effects
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction to prednisone: hives; difficult breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Call your doctor at once if you have:
- blurred vision, eye pain, or seeing halos around lights;
- swelling, rapid weight gain, feeling short of breath;
severe depression, feelings of extreme happiness or sadness, changes in personality or behavior, seizure (convulsions);
- bloody or tarry stools, coughing up blood;
- pancreatitis (severe pain in your upper stomach spreading to your back, nausea and vomiting, fast heart rate);
low potassium (confusion, uneven heart rate, extreme thirst, increased urination, leg discomfort, muscle weakness or limp feeling); or
- dangerously high blood pressure (severe headache, blurred vision, buzzing in your ears, anxiety, confusion, chest pain, shortness of breath, uneven heartbeats, seizure).
Other common prednisone side effects may include:
- sleep problems (insomnia), mood changes;
- increased appetite, gradual weight gain;
- acne, increased sweating, dry skin, thinning skin, bruising or discoloration;
slow wound healing;
- headache, dizziness, spinning sensation;
- nausea, stomach pain, bloating; or
- changes in the shape or location of body fat (especially in your arms, legs, face, neck, breasts, and waist).
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.